10 Super Points on Peptic Ulcer Disease
These erosions can cause open sores and can become extremely painful and can even start to bleed. Usually, the mucous lining of the small intestine and stomach can protect against gastric acid, however, if this mucous lining is decreased, and the amount of gastric acid is increased, a peptic ulcer can develop in the patient.
causes of peptic ulcer disease
Let's look at some of the causes of peptic ulcer disease. Causes a peptic ulcer disease include a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori, and from now on we're going to call it H-Pylori. This is actually the most common cause.
It used to be thought that stress and eating spicy foods used to be the cause of peptic ulcer disease, but they've actually narrowed it down to H-Pylori. So that's probably an important test question for you to remember. This bacteria, by the way, is ingested by contaminated food or water, and believe it or not, it is actually found in two thirds of the world's population.
There's another cause of peptic ulcer disease and it's called zollinger Ellison syndrome. And this is basically a gastrinoma. Now, this is a very rare tumor in the stomach, but it actually will increase gastric output.
So let's look at some of the risk factors for peptic ulcer disease. Those risks for developing peptic ulcer disease includes:
signs and symptoms of peptic ulcer disease:
The patient actually may not exhibit any symptoms of the illness. However, if and when they do exhibit symptoms, they can include:
- 1Pain, this is the most common symptom. Pain is usually located in the mid to upper abdomen.
- 2Heartburn; annoying or burning feeling, and it sometimes occurs between meals or at night.
- 4Nausea and vomiting.
- 5Unexplained weight loss.
- 6Changes in appetite.
- 7Dark tarry stools, this is actually a severe symptom.
- 8Also vomiting blood, consider that a severe symptom too.
Complications of peptic ulcer disease:
If peptic ulcers are left untreated, the following may result:
- 1Peritonitis, and this is really bad and they also can actually create an opening in the walls of the stomach or small intestine. And this can actually allow the contents to go into the abdominal cavity, causing serious infection.
- 2Bleeding from the ulcers, this can result in severe blood loss.
- 3Scarring, now this one's a little interesting, so the scar from the ulcer can make it more difficult for the stomach to empty and the patient can actually feel full, vomit and lose weight.
Diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease:
Diagnosis can be utilized by the following methods an upper endoscopy, blood test, breath tests or even stool for H-Pylori, barium swallow or upper GI series, now this is a series of X rays to visualize esophagus all the way down to the small intestine to see if there's any ulcers present.
Treatment Options for Peptic Ulcer Disease
Let's talk about some treatments and medical considerations. So the following treatments may be used to treat PUD:
Patient Education for Peptic Ulcer Disease
Pharmacists need to educate the patients on the following: