Pharmacy Interventions ReportsMay 25, 2017
Protocols for Cervical Spine ClearanceJune 24, 2017
Three distinct purposes exist for the placement of an external ventricular drain like Traumatic brain injury, hydrocephalus and Intra ventricular hemorrhage.
- Commonest site chosen for Burr hole is right frontal region.
- All patients EVD is done at the Operating room only.
- The drainage level will be set and adjust by the Neurosurgeons.
- Proper antibiotics administered.
- Changes in the threshold for drainage are made after consultation with the neurosurgeons.
- Minimum time limit for an EVD is 3-5 days.
- More prolonged drainage would be implemented by the Neurosurgeons.
- Routine CSF sampling for infection surveillance is not performed.
- CSF specimens are to be sent as part a fever workup or 2-3 days prior to planned-shunt placement.
- CSF samples sent to evaluate for infection include the following: glucose, protein, lactate, cell count, grams state and culture.
- In patient for whom there is concern for possible CSF infection a CSF sample should be obtained prior to removal of the ventricular catheter.