Generic Name : Allopurinol
Indication : Gout or uric acid and calcium oxalate renal stones
Dosage Form : Suspension
Strength : 20mg/mL
Stability : 60 days
Storage : Refrigerate (preferable) or at room temperature
VEHICLE OF CHOICE:
• Ora-Sweet® : Ora-Plus® (1:1) or
• Ora-Sweet SF® : Ora-Plus®(1:1) or
• Ora-Blend® or
• Ora-Blend SF® or
• Cherry syrup or
• Equivalent vehicle to Ora-Sweet® : Ora-Plus® (1:1)
• Methylcellulose 1% : Simple Syrup (1:1)
How to prepare ALLOPURINOL SUSPENSION 20MG/ML:
1. Crush tablets in a mortar to fine powder.
2. Levigate the powder with small amount of vehicle until smooth paste is formed.
3. Add more vehicle to the paste until liquid is formed and transfer the liquid into a container.
4. Use additional vehicle to rinse the remaining drug from the mortar and pour into the container.
5. Make up to final volume with vehicle.
6. Shake well and label.
1. Allen LV and Erickson MA. Stability of Acetazolamide, Allopurinol, Azathioprine, Clonazepam, and Flucytosine in Extemporaneously Compounded Oral Liquids. Am J Health Sys Pharm 1996;53:1944-9.
2. Dressman JB and Poust RI. Stability of Allopurinol and five antineoplastics in suspension. Am J Hosp Pharm 1983; 40 (4): 616-8.