Discharge planning is done at the time of admission so that a patient’s needs even after discharge can be planned well ahead in time.
Components of Discharge Summary:
- Reason for admission, diagnoses and co-morbidities.
- Significant physical and other findings.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures performed.
- Significant medications, including discharge medications.
- The patient’s condition/status at the time of discharge.
- Patient education and follow—up instructions are given in a form and language the patient can understand.