ACETAZOLAMIDE SUSPENSION 25MG/ML
Generic Name: Acetazolamide
Indication: Reduction of intra-ocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma, Secondary glaucoma and peri-operatively in angle-closure glaucoma
Dosage Form: Suspension
Stability: 60 days
Storage: Refrigerate (preferable) or at room temperature
VEHICLE OF CHOICE:
• Ora-Sweet®: Ora-Plus® (1:1) or
• Ora-Sweet SF®: Ora-Plus®(1:1) or
• Ora-Blend SF® or
• Cherry syrup or
• Equivalent vehicle to Ora-Sweet®: Ora-Plus® (1:1)
How to prepare ACETAZOLAMIDE SUSPENSION 25MG/ML:
1. Crush tablets in a mortar to fine powder.
2. Levigate the powder with small amount of vehicle until smooth paste is formed.
3. Add more vehicle to the paste until liquid is formed and transfer the liquid into a container.
4. Use additional vehicle to rinse the remaining drug from the mortar and pour into the container.
5. Make up to final volume with vehicle.
6. Shake well and label.
1. Allen LV, Erickson MA.(1996) Stability of acetazolamide allopurinol, azathioprine, clonazepam, and flucytosine in extemporaneously compounded oral liquids. Am J Health Sys Pharm. 53:1944.