Does a single atom cast a shadow?March 30, 2017
What is a Sentinel Event?March 30, 2017
QPS processes provide the framework for the organization and its leaders to achieve a commitment to provide quality patient care in a safe, well-managed environment and reduce risk to patients, staff and visitors.
Do you know what model preferred to be used for Quality Improvement?
Answer: PDCA improvement model. This requires the chosen process to go through the Plan-Do- Check-Act cycle in order to bring about an improvement.
How are clinicians involved in Quality Improvement?
- All medical staff is involved in quality improvement through various activities in the organization.
- The quality improvement analysts assist the medical staff by using generic and service specific screening indicators to medical record documentation and patient care.
- This initial screening process generates referrals to clinicians for their peer review of any identified variances.
- Each division monitors important aspects of care, analyzes the data and report’s findings on a quarterly basis to the QI Office where they are aggregated and shared with Medical Management.
- Members of key committees also participate in QI activities by their ongoing analysis of data provided to the committee for action.
- The recent introduction of our Occurrence Reporting system gives staff easy access to identify issues of quality, safety, and potential risk that may require attention and intervention.
QI is every
Hospital Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
How has your department improved care or services?
- Every division has selected topics or issues for monitoring. Be sure you are familiar with the monitors for your division, and are able to articulate the results of data collection and actions taken to improve.
- If you are not familiar with your division QI information, ask for it to be discussed at your staff meetings.
- You are also responsible for knowing what QI activities are monitored.