August 23, 2017 at 11:48 am #49271
- 100% of them priming the chemotherapy agents in the pharmacy. Non-hazardous or BSC hood
- 100 % prime with base fluid before adding the chemotherapy agent, except below which should be primed after adding the medication to the fluids:
- Drugs that are titratable
- Drugs may cause a reaction, so we don’t have to guess if the reaction was from the drug or the base fluid
Advantages of priming in the Pharmacy
- Reduces the risk of spills/exposure during spiking by a nurse.
- The first 10-15 ml of line running as diluent in case of a leak, prevents additional exposure.
- Comply with USP 800