FREE DOWNLOAD: BLOOD SUGAR ANALYSIS CHARTFebruary 9, 2018
FREE DOWNLOAD: Acute Diabetic Chart.docxFebruary 10, 2018
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OF HYPOGLYCEMIA
Hypoglycemia – refers to a condition wherein the blood glucose falls less than 60 mg/dl or drops rapidly from a higher level with or without the presence of signs and symptoms.
PURPOSE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OF HYPOGLYCEMIA
- To ensure correct management of hypoglycemia.
- For early recognition of signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and have a prompt and quick action to save patients lives.
POLICY OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OF HYPOGLYCEMIA
- All known diabetic patients must be checked for blood glucose on Doctors order and according to patients’ condition.
- Capillary blood glucose must be checked as soon as signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia identified.
- The physician must have a specific written order for the medication to be administered in the treatment of hypoglycemia.
|Write order in the Doctor’s order sheet for medication to be administered for emergency management of hypoglycemia.||Physician|
|Document all the pertinent information in a timely manner in the medical record.||Physician|
|Check the blood glucose level as soon as the hypoglycemia is recognized and report to the treating physician and document.||Registered Nurse|
|Assess patient’s condition, vital signs and report to the physician immediately.||Registered Nurse|
|Carry out Doctor’s Order promptly and quickly to save patients life.|
|Observe patients’ reaction and changes to each treatment given and document properly.||Registered Nurse|
|Treat hypoglycemia promptly. and follow EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OF HYPOGLYCEMIA PROTOCOL||Registered Nurse|